Procter & Gamble has issued a recall for several brands of dry shampoo spray products. The voluntary recall was issued over concerns that products may contain benzene, a known carcinogen. It involves multiple lots of 32 P & G dry shampoo or conditioner spray products in a range of sizes.
Procter & Gamble issued a voluntary recall after some reports indicated that benzene was been found in certain P & G aerosolized spray products. In a press release published on the U.S. Food and Drug Administration website, the company stated that they conducted a comprehensive review of all aerosol P & G hair products. The review concluded that propellants used in affected products may contain benzene in trace amounts. As benzene is a known carcinogen, P & G states that they have recalled the products out of caution.
The recall list issued on the FDA website includes multiple dry hair conditioner and dry shampoo spray products from the Pantene, Herbal Essences, Aussie, Waterless, Old Spice and Hair Food lines of hair care.
Benzene Contaminants Found in Other Healthcare Products
Benzene was used in consumer and other products until the 1970s when it was banned due to its potential as a carcinogen. It remains one of the most popular chemical ingredients in other products but is no longer used in body or personal care products, products for children or in other products intended to be used indoors such as paint.
Recently, multiple recalls have been issued for benzene contamination in personal care products. Recalls issued have included Procter & Gamble antiperspirant and deodorants and Johnson & Johnson spray sunscreen products. During the COVID-19 pandemic, the FDA granted an exception for benzene presence in certain hand sanitizers, but these products have not been recalled.
Products affected by the recall include:
- Herbal Essences – Blue Ginger Refresh Dry Shampoo, White Grapefruit & Mint Dry Shampoo, White Strawberry & Sweet Mint Dry Shampoo and Cucumber & Green Tea Dry Shampoo
- Pantene – Dry Shampoo No Water Refresh, Dry Shampoo Sheer Volume, and Never Tell Dry Shampoo
- Aussie – Clean Color Protect Shampoo, After Hours Dry Shampoo Texture Spray, Tousle Hustle Dry Shampoo, Bounce Back Dry Shampoo, Clean Texture Dry Shampoo, and Clean Volume Dry Shampoo
- Waterless – Dry Shampoo No Residue
- Hair Food – Coconut Dry Shampoo
- Old Spice – Fiji Dry Shampoo and Pure Sport Dry Shampoo
- Waterless – Dry Conditioner Weightless Smooth and Instant Moisture
- Pantene – Dry Conditioning Mist, Sultry Blonde All in One Luxury Mist, Smooth Talker Dry Conditioning Oil, Mist Behaving Dry Conditioning Mist, and Gold Series Instant Nourishing Spray
- Aussie – Smooth Vibes Dry Conditioner, Petal Soft Dry Conditioner, and Sleekend Warrior Dry Conditioner
P & G clarified that most of their products, including hairspray, mousse, liquid shampoos and conditioners, styling products and hair treatments are not affected by the recall. Other dry shampoo spray products not listed on the recall notification are also not included in the recall.